Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ride to Lunch – Washington Heights to Tribeca (Part 1)



Rider: Manuel Lawrence
Date: Friday, Nov 30 - 12pm
Length of ride: 11mi of 22.8mi (36.7km)
Type of bike lane: varied from park path, separate bicycle lane, bicycle lane, bicycle sharrows, no bicycle lane, shared lanes.

I commandeered a bicycle that has remained dormant in the corridor of my apartment since I had moved in. I took the bicycle to the local bike shop that was conveniently located close by and paid 50 cents, as per the sign, to use the compressor to pump up the tires and set off on my journey downtown. The plan was simple, ride along the Hudson River riverside path, which I expected to be a continual bicycle friendly route, and then return back through the heart of the city.

From Washington Heights, I descended the steep and winding path towards the Hudson River, which given the good weather on the day of my journey was a pleasant experience (the same could not be said if the pavement were wet). This led me to the scenic riverside path which had no lane markings but was smooth and relaxing, and really quite a pleasure to ride along.

Picture 1 - Scenic riverside path.
After about 40 blocks the path turned inland ever so slightly and lane markings presented that divided bicyclists from runners, this I thought was good in theory. However, I did not have the opportunity to test or observe the separation between those using the path in practice as it was rather quiet at the time.


Picture 2 - Divided pavement markings.

The path soon transitioned into a path that ran directly alongside the main highway on the west side of Manhattan (the name of which changes a lot over a short distance). This path is a very popular running and cycling route, shared with runners in some sections and divided in others, importantly it is completely divided from the busy and fast traffic by concrete and/or a steel rails, and garden beds. The path, which is on the river side of the roadway is frequently crossed by pedestrian crossings and some signaled traffic crossings (leading to buildings and facilities), the pedestrian crossings which were passively marked were effective in encouraging me to slow down a little as I approached. The signaled vehicle crossings, where I did not adhere to the red light, forced a similar response though the possibility of being hit by a garbage truck or car triggered a more intense scanning of the scene (earlier this year while cycling I was hit by a car who ignored a stop sign and sent me sailing through the air landing 30 feet from the vehicle, this has left a few mental scars).

Picture 3 - A fellow bicycling commuter.


Closing in on my lunch venue I was able to pull out my phone while riding and see where I was in relation to my destination. I veered off the comfortable and divided bicycle lane and onto the narrow streets of Tribeca. I was immediately faced with the issue of following the shortest path to the venue as I saw it on the map, or try to comply with the one way street rulings, reluctantly – as I wanted to ride within the law – I rode against the direction of traffic to save time, bumped along a cobbled section of road, and arrived at my destination.

The ride down along the river side which is also the suggested route by Google Maps took me 49 minutes for the 11 mile trip. The ride was comfortable the entire length, I virtually did not once need to compete with cars, and overtaking joggers and other cyclists was done with ease. With suitable facilities (showers and lock up facilities) I would comfortably undertake this ride to work on a consistent basis, if I worked downtown – although in the winter darkness descends upon the city rather early, and riding in the dark along the riverside route I believe would be unpleasant.

Without a lock, or without the key for the lock that was attached to the bicycle I was forced to improvise in securing the bicycle while I ate in the restaurant. I opted to nest it between two plant pots and secure the front wheel to the frame by clipping my helmet to it, the idea being that the slight inconvenience of the clipped on helmet would give me time to respond to a would be thief. A good visual through the window also helped.


Picture 4 - Improvised bicycle security.

Notes: It was pleasing to observe that 85% bicyclists I passed in Part 1 of the journey were wearing helmets.

No comments:

Post a Comment