Saturday, December 1, 2012

Skateboarding the Bike Lanes: Living on the Edge

I decided to use my new skateboard in the areas around where I live (Manhattan's UWS) as commuter transport. What I found is that basically any skateboarding to get around is only safe or comfortable on the street if there are marked lanes. The best lanes are of course separated. I was able to travel around various types of lanes.  They include separated, marked lanes, non-marked bike lanes, streets under repair and side streets.

The view from Central Park towards a separated lane. A journey that begins with just one push of the skateboard.
 This is the marked separated lane that was easy to use, except for the Audi that was driving right behind me because they were turning into a parking lot. Was that you Matt Daus?

 A green painted protected bike lane. The best lane of all because the lanes are separated and colored. Bikers were using it as were some pedestrians. That made me a bit nervous because it was chaotic.

There were even signs at the intersection to reminding you to "look!" all-around. Keep your head on a swivel as they say in football, but applies to navigating the New York City streets.
 Here I'm looking back on the lane I just skated. There are two parallel bars forming the lane. It was narrow and next to parked cars. I looked over my shoulder a lot here. Later I saw a guy on a razor shooter riding. He looked over his shoulder a lot as well.
 I reached an area under repair and decided to walk this block rather than crash into pedestrians or travel 3 feet into a traffic lane on the other side of that barrier.
A quiet side street. Easy to travel on and also relaxing. A nice road to end the skateboarding on. Time for some tricks. Silly rabbit Trix are for kids.










Parting thoughts:
A worthy trip for recreation. Just ok for commuting for me and my comfort level on a skateboard. I think it would be very good for a bicyclist. Most cyclists I see are delivery people. They bike against traffic and the sidewalk very often around there. If residents wanted to commute by bike in this area it would be good in this neighborhood.

Area of ride:
Central Park West Ave, Columbus Ave. Covering streets from 81st st. to 72nd st.

Basic stats:
Travel time approx. 20 minutes, distance about half a mile.
Skateboard by Coda (http://www.codaskateboards.com), wheels by OJ (60mm, 79a durometer), trucks by Ace (44 high raw), bearings by Mini Logo (ABEC 3). No helmet or joint pads. Wore gloves to brace for falls on the ground.


Safety data:
Some U.S. skateboarding fatalities data for 2011. Seems riding on the road is where most deaths occur (40 of 42 occurred on the public street).

http://www.skatepark.org/park-development/2012/01/2011-skateboarding-fatalities/#board

No comments:

Post a Comment